try ngee-ing the alphabet.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

what a way to end the exams.

i walked home today.

25km. 7 1/2 hours, from dover mrt to tanah merah.

I went past school from dover MRT, crossed the AYE, crossed kent ridge on south buona vista road, walked all the way down telok blangah road to harbourfront, found out that vivocity was there also, had lunch, walked into the city, through the cbd, crossed the singapore river, stopped at the esplanade, went through suntec out to nicoll highway, passed the national stadium, through kallang, across the ECP to east coast park, all the way up east coast park to bayshore, back across the ECP to siglap, up upper east coast road to home.

I passed so many people, exchanged momentary glances with thousands of others. I saw the simple joy and contentment of the Thai gardeners at the park. I saw the peace in the face of the old lady outside the Tanjong Pagar malaysian train station. I saw the weariness in the eyes of the well-dressed office-workers downtown and through it, the desire to be somewhere else.

I felt loneliness. The long road on the ridge. Seldom did any cars pass, and there were never any pedestrians. I felt fear then. The swarm of large red ants on the path, tearing apart a beetle.

I felt weariness. my right foot began to give way when I reached East Coast. I had wanted to give up, to take a bus home, but I knew that by going all the way, I would get something out of it.

I had gone out to explore. Perhaps the most painful part of it was the end. The last stretch. It hurt badly, to walk. And there was nothing to explore. The road was familiar and mundane. The last hour hurt. It taught me to keep going even if things were unexciting and uneventful. Even if it hurts. Even if it doesnt turn out the way you expect it to, and you don't seem to get anything out of it.

now i cant walk cos my right foot hurts alot.

but i saw the world.

and i know my two little feet can take me anywhere now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home